The prickly pear is a fruit of Mexican origin that arrived in Europe in the first ships that went to the West Indies. Grows in cactus called prickly pear cactus. Interestingly, the prickly pears have adapted so well to the climate of specific European regions that they have become an essential part of the landscape. In Andalusia and Sicily, they are even considered typical of the area. The prickly pears ripen in the middle of summer and can have different colors.
They are a fleshy fruit with a very original flavor. The recipe I propose today is easy to make, gluten-free and vegetarian and also inspired by the summers of my childhood; In the house on the beach we had several plants of prickly pears, and my grandmother and I used to eat. If you are also a plant attention because this fruit has thorns, it is better to buy them in a market.
Gluten-free Coconut cake with prickly pearsPrint This
- 3 cups of prickly pears
- 3/4 cup of coconut flour
- 3/8 cup of oat flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 cup of grated coconut
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of oat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons of birch xylitol
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: flours, grated coconut, xylitol, cloves, baking and tartar cream. Mix well.
- In another bowl mix the egg whites, the undone coconut oil and the oat milk. Beat well and combine the flour mixture. Mix until there is a stable compound.
- With oven gloves on, peel prickly pears and cut them into half slices. Prickly pears have many seeds, which are edible but very hard and cannot be bitten. They can be left and swallowed whole, but I prefer to remove them.
- Place the coconut compound in a silicone mold. It can be a single mold or more small molds.
- Place the half slices of prickly pears on the surface of the coconut compound.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
This recipe is compatible with the Fast Metabolism Diet – FMD Phase 3; With these quantities, you got 3 breakfasts for <20 pounds or 2 breakfasts for >20 pounds. For a complete breakfast, integrate with the remaining protein and phase veggies.
WARNING FOR CELIAC: always check that the products that you use are certified without gluten, for who has doubts in this respect can be informed in the following link: http://bit.ly/GlutenFreeSymbology