Although Cinco de Mayo is not the most important Mexican holiday, in the United States this date is celebrated much. And as I love to experiment with new recipes inspired by cuisines from all countries, I decided to share my version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes in honor of the 5 de Mayo celebration: huevos rancheros. It is a recipe for breakfast, perfect to start the day with energy. In my version, I accompany the huevos rancheros with mixed vegetables and a vegan gordita with flax seeds.
Also, try my vegan tamales.
I hope you like this recipe and happy 5 de Mayo to all!
Huevos rancheros with veggies and vegan gordita with flax seedsPrint This
- For the eggs:
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup of red, yellow and green peppers
- 1 cup of tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 chile serrano
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- For the salad:
- 1/2 cup of mixed lettuce
- 1/2 cup of fresh vegetables: carrots, peppers, tomato
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- For zucchini:
- 1/2 cup of zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Tajín
- For the gordita:
- 1/8 cup of chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup of oat bran
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and baking soda
- 1/8 cup of water
- For the zucchini: Preheat the oven to 320ºF (160ºC).
- Wash and cut the zucchini into strips. Put it in a bowl and dress it with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of Tajín and a pinch of salt. Mix well, put on a tray with baking paper and bake 10/15 minutes.
- For the gordita: mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Heat a small nonstick pan and pour the compound. Cook for 3-5 minutes, then lower and turn over. Cook a few more minutes
- For the eggs: Chop the garlic, onion, and chile and put them in a non-stick pan with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sauté over low heat for a few minutes.
- Wash the peppers and tomatoes, cut them into approximately 1cm pieces and put them in the pan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook about 15 or 20 minutes around.
- When the vegetables are well cooked, adjust salt and pepper and add a little chopped fresh coriander. Stir well and reserve.
- In the same pan, put 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the egg over medium heat. Adjust salt.
- For the salad: wash and cut all the vegetables. Dress with 1 teaspoon of oil, salt, and lemon.
- To serve: Put the vegetables of huevos rancheros as a base and put the hot egg on top; sprinkle with pepper and chopped cilantro. Serve with salad, zucchini, and the gordita.
This recipe is suitable for the Fast Metabolism Diet – FMD Phase 3. With these quantities, you get 1 breakfast or 1 dinner for <20; in the breakfast add fruit.
If you omit the gordita, you can use this recipe for lunch; in this case, put the flax seeds into the salad and add the remaining protein and fruit.
For this recipe, you may need:
WARNING FOR CELIAC: always check that the products that you use are certified without gluten, for who has doubts in this respect can be informed in the following link: https://bit.ly/GlutenFreeSymbol - if you are sensitive to oat, switch it for quinoa flakes.