Today, March 17, is Saint Patrick’s Day, patron of Ireland. It is an especially popular party in both Ireland and the United States that is spreading more and more in the rest of the world. Last year, to celebrate this day, I prepared a delicious Irish Coffee cheesecake, so this year I decided to prepare some St. Patrick’s cookies made from sunflower seeds. They are amazing cookies since they look like normal cookies but hide a green heart, the color of St. Patrick’s Day. This color is due to the reaction between the sunflower seeds and the baking soda (not baking powder), not affect the flavor, and they are super easy to make.
If you don’t want green cookies, just add some lemon juice or cream of tartar.
Let’s see how they prepare and Happy Saint Patrick’s Day to all!
St. Patrick's green cookiesPrint This
- 1 cup of raw sunflower seeds
- 1 whole egg
- 1/3 cup of birch xylitol or stevia to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put the seeds in a powerful food processor and crush the seeds until they form a granular paste. This operation may require several minutes.
- Put the obtained paste in a bowl with xylitol or stevia, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl beat the egg and add half of the egg to the rest of the ingredients. Work well to form a dough, add more egg if the dough is too dry.
- Wrap it in baking paper and let it sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 290ºF (145º C).
- Put the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and spread it with a rolling pin. The dough should have a thickness of about 1/2 cm.
- Use a cookie mold to shape them; You can also use a glass or cut them with a knife.
- Put the cookies on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake about 15 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: to obtain the green color in the center of the cookies, they must be some time under heat (in the oven) but without getting toast too much. How each oven is different, I recommend previously cooking one single cookie at the temperature indicated in the recipe; if it browns too much, you can lower the heat slightly; while if it does not brown enough, you can raise the temperature slightly. Once they are cooled, the cookies look perfectly normal, but the base and the inside of the cookie acquire a green color.
This recipe is suitable for the Fast Metabolism Diet – FMD Phase3; With these amounts, you get 4 healthy fat servings for <20 pounds. For a complete snack, add vegetables.
WARNING FOR CELIAC: always check that the products that you use are certified without gluten, for who has doubts in this respect can be informed in the following link: https://bit.ly/GlutenFreeSymbol