Easter has arrived and, as always, I propose a super healthy recipe to share with your families in these holidays. The Italian tradition inspires this year’s recipe: as you already know, although I live in Barcelona, I am originally from Rome, where the Easter breakfast is an incredible event. The whole family gathers and eats cheese bread, eggs, artichoke omelet, but the main protagonist is the Colomba, a delicious sweet shaped like a dove and covered with almonds and sugar. The recipe that I propose today is a healthy version of this Italian sweet, I choose muffin molds with Easter decorations, but you can put it in the traditional mold in the form of Colomba or a classic cake mold, as you like it ?
Easter MuffinsPrint This
- 1/4 cup of sorghum flour
- 1/8 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/8 cup of quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons of birch xylitol *
- 6 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup of whole raw almonds
- 1/4 cup of almond milk **
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- In a large bowl beat the egg with 1 egg white and 4 tablespoons of xylitol until it becomes a foamy compound.
- Add the grated orange zest, the vanilla seeds, the sunflower oil, the almond milk and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix all the flours, the baking soda and the cream of tartar and add them to the liquid compound. If it is too dry, add a few more tablespoons of almond milk.
- Add the cacao nibs and mix well.
- Distribute the compound in muffin molds or cake mold.
- [OPTIONAL] *** In a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of xylitol, when it entirely melts beat the remaining egg white and add the melt xylitol.
- Put a teaspoon of the compound of egg white and xylitol on the surface the most muffins and mix the surface lightly with a fork, to integrate a bit the two compounds.
- Garnish with the whole almonds and bake for 20 minutes.****
This recipe is suitable for the Fast Metabolism Diet – FMD Phase3; With these amounts, you get 4 healthy fat servings and 4 grain serving, but just 1 protein serving, for <20 pounds.
* You can use stevia instead of xylitol, but then skip step 7, which is optional, since with stevia it cannot be done. - ** This recipe uses 1/4 cup of almond milk as condiment. - *** If you decide to skip this step use the egg white and xylitol of this step with the egg white and xylitol from step 1. - **** If you want to use a cake mold instead of muffins molds, bake it 25/30 minutes.- - WARNING FOR CELIAC: always check that the products that you use are certified without gluten, for who has doubts in this respect can be informed in the following link: https://bit.ly/GlutenFreeSymbology
Happy Easter everyone!